- 1 Best Practices for Using Web Push Notifications
- 2 How to Write Creative Push Notifications
- 3 How to Add Images For Push Notifications
- 4 When to Send a Push Notification
- 5 Whom To Send Push Notification
- 6 Relevancy and Frequency For Better Results
- 7 Push Notifications Examples
- 8 Important Tips and Practices
For proper use of any marketing channel, you need to research its main features and tools. Web push notifications are well known for their interaction simplicity, but their advanced capabilities are still unexplored well by marketers.
To enhance the knowledge about web push as a multifunctional marketing tool, we will provide you with the main tips for push campaign launch to achieve the best results. We will consider where, how and when it’s better to use push notifications.
Learn basic info about web push notifications in our guide.
Best Practices for Using Web Push Notifications
Web push notifications have a high open rate due to the pop ups appearance over the top of all open windows on mobile or desktop devices. To receive a web push a user doesn’t have to stay on the sender’s website. An opened browser is the sufficient condition for a message delivery.
However, different push campaigns have varying results. Push notifications CTR reduces or increases depending on a set of factors. In order to avoid critical mistakes when planning and launching campaigns, we have collected best practices to manage with all web push features properly.
- Opt-In. There are two types of opt-in widget appearance. The first one is a native opt-in form. You need just one click to subscribe or refuse the notifications receiving. The second one is a customize opt-in box. It allows to set your own window design and text, but requires two clicks to permit web push alerts. A user should confirm their subscription in customized form first. After that a native one will appear. According to our experience, native opt-in usage is a better solution. It provides the subscriber base growth three-five times faster than with customized window displaying.
- Welcome messages. To notify a new recipient about their subscription to website alerts, use welcome message. It warns subscribers about the info they will be getting from your site. Besides, users have a chance to opt-out if they have subscribed accidently. In this way, companies start the dialogue with a new customer or exclude uninterested visitor from the database.
- Images. Big images in push notifications are still unrivaled. They attract much attention; occupy more space at the device screen than messages with a basic icon. In addition, you can describe your offer in more detail with a rich notification even before a user follows a link to the product page. On average, rich web push CTR is 2-5% higher than CTR of standard notifications.
- Buttons. Call to action button helps to encourage the user in exploring your offer. It increases notifications CTR, because a recipient has a hint of what to do next. Using two buttons, you can track users action (UTM) and segment the audience by their choice. CTA buttons provide 40-60% CTR increase.
- Text. Web push includes title and description. They should complement each other to make clear for recipients what about your message is. We will provide you with the main text composing tips a bit later.
- Timing. Browser notifications are time sensitive. Be aware of the best hours for campaign launch. To understand how to do this, pay attention to the basic time parameters. They are campaign schedule, time zone, frequency and time to live (TTL). We will reveal each of these concepts below.
- Segmentation. Targeted campaigns proved their effectiveness. Subscribers have different interests and points of view. You can’t consider in details each user request but segmentation tools help to divide audience by various categories. With segmented campaigns companies get better results. CTR of targeted notifications is 1,5-2 times higher than for campaigns by common base. See further, whom to send push notifications.
- Statistics. To improve performance indicators use campaign statistics. It shows the most successful approaches, allows to compare a set of used options. In Gravitec profile you can track push campaigns history, number of sent, delivered and opened messages, notifications CTR, etc.
- Landing Page. The main push notification purpose is to redirect user to brand or product info. Thus, if a user clicks web push, they should get the info relevant to the web push content. Otherwise, you will increase the opt-out rate.
- Multiple channels. While sending browser notifications, expand the number of marketing tools you have. For example, you can personalize web push recipients by providing discount promo code in SMS. Thus, a subscriber should enter their phone number on landing page to get this discount. You’ll get additional user data for multichannel interaction.
Let’s consider other tips for push campaigns planning and launching.
How to Write Creative Push Notifications
Generally, advantageous offers attract more subscribers attention than ordinary product info. Thus, the words «Discount», «Sale», «Action» in a web push title increase number of clicks.
However, there are other options to hook the consumer too. For example, use personalized topics, or a currently popular one for your target audience.
Mass media use political overtones, references to high-profile events in their notifications. The famous people photos, well-known logos are the way to grab subscribers attention as well.
Users respond more likely to notifications with intriguing or provocative text. However, if you want to boost users confidence in your brand, create clear informative messages as well.
Some approaches for text creating:
- Limited time («50% discount this Friday only!»).
- Personal appeal (‘Dear Mrs.’, ‘Promo code for you’).
- Intriguing text to make a user curious about your offer. To find out its conditions, they should click on web push.
- Particularly advantageous offer («30% discount on tickets to all destinations»).
You can use them to express feelings and share them with your audience.
How to Add Images For Push Notifications
The same image to every push notification is a bad idea. It leads to decreasing of users interest in a website info. Nevertheless, companies often use their logo as an illustration to all messages. Let’s consider the results of this approach.
This is a real online media case with push campaign CTR statistics. The first chart zone with low CTR rate shows results for notifications with unchangeable logo. The sharp increase in rates was caused by strategy changing. The company put various images for each notification.
- To set a basic small logo click ‘Change icon’ and load a picture with recommended size.
- You can use a rich notification features and add a big image for your message.
- Another rich notification feature is one or two buttons. Use CTA to motivate users in interaction.
As we mentioned above, big images are highly recommended to get more audience attention. However, you should mix approaches to diversify messages. Your customers should not be bored.
When to Send a Push Notification
To choose suitable time for a campaign launch, you should explore the subscribers habits.
For example, your company provides software. Your target audience are at their work for 6-8 hours. More likely it’s better to send web push at this particular time. Thus, take a break with notifications, when users are out of the office. Otherwise, pop ups will become intrusive. Inconvenient delivery time decreases customers loyalty and open rate as well.
Furthermore, push technology tools allow to send notifications separately to mobile and desktop devices. In this way, you can select specific schedule for each of this groups. If a subscriber desktop device is off in the evening, their smartphone would be better receiver at this time.
Besides schedule, we can manage other time parameters:
- Time to Live. During this period, a system is trying to deliver a notification to the addressee device. You can assign zero or 24 hours or more for TTL. This parameter value depends on the campaign purpose. For instance, a sale lasts for 3 hours. TTL should not be higher; otherwise, it will lead to irrelevant info delivery.
- Time zone. Set this parameter accordingly to the region where your subscribers live. Follow the metadata you’ve got from their browsers at the moment of subscription.
- Frequency means how often you interact with users. As any time parameter frequency depends of the business niche characteristics and the campaign aims.
Whom To Send Push Notification
In Gravitec.net profile you can segment subscriber base by:
- Device operating system,
Every browser supports push notifications in its own way. For example, on Chrome allowed rich notifications. If a web push pops up on a device with Windows OS via Chrome, it will be saved in Notification Center. This features influence the sender choice in alerts design. Thus, to verify messages depending on browser or OS, you can segment audience by this mark. As we mentioned above, we can set different time for MacOS and iOS users, for example.
A base can be segmented with tags as well. You can set any tags for pages or actions (CTA) on the website via REST API. Users are marked with tags when subscribe, visit pages or click the buttons. Thus, companies create users group by interest or behavior to launch target campaigns.
Read more about push notification segmentation.
Relevancy and Frequency For Better Results
The best way to find out optimal balance in web push settings is an experience analysis. However, before experiments launching explore your audience, divide it by groups to create a separate campaign for each segment for better results. And keep in mind your business specificities. There are no the same rules for each company.
For example, the best campaign frequency for an online media is four or five times a day. But it would be too much for an online store.
Trace campaigns statistics to be aware of users behavior, change marketing strategy approaches in time.
Push Notifications Examples
Depending on a campaign goals and a business niche push notifications can be used for different tasks.
Educational campaigns explain products features, service capabilities, etc. So, if you want to provide your audience with a guide, send educational web push.
Promotional notifications contains info about discounts, new product. It is the most spread campaigns type.
Alerts are used to notify users about the abandon cart or a sale time expiration.
Service messages will help clients after a purchase. For instance, service web push notifies customers about the purchase delivery time or provides with tips for a tour you have bought.
Transactional notifications are sent after a user action on a website. Generally a system sends them automatically, if a website uses API.
Important Tips and Practices
Now you have a set of tools to use for push campaigns.
Let’s summarize the main tips:
- Native opt-in box increases a number of subscribers.
- Welcome messages notify a user about their subscription.
- Big images attract more attention.
- Call To Action buttons help user to make a decision (to click).
- A description should complement a title.
- A notification text has to be relevant to a landing page info.
- Web push effectiveness depends on time parameter settings (schedule, TTL, frequency, time zone).
- Users base segmentation by region, browser, OS, tags helps to create a relevant message for each target group.
- Campaign statistics provides you with info about the most successful approaches and users behavior to consider this data for next campaigns.
- Push notifications allow to engage other marketing channels in multi-channel campaign.
Business specificities influence campaign settings. Mix different approaches to find out the most effective one.
If you have any question about a web push campaign launch, please, contact our support team.