Gravitec.net provides clients with web push platform since 2015. In four years, we’ve collected a lot of data based on our experience and millions of launched campaigns.
We’d like to introduce web push notification statistics you have to know for clear understanding the technology features and capabilities.
Thus, with this tool we can cover up to 80% of all internet users.
Read more about how push notifications work.
Common effectiveness characteristics:
- CTR – up to 30%
- ROI – up to 2200%
- Increase in daily website traffic – up to 25%
To forecast the technology effectiveness for your own website, please, use our online push calculator.
For web push integration and campaigns launch, you need just 5 steps.
Now let’s deal with detailed statistics.
In 2019 push notifications audience consists of about 80% mobile users and up to 20% desktop users.
What browsers are the most popular amongst web push subscribers?
- 93% Chrome
- 3% Opera
- 1% Firefox
- 2% Yandex
- 1 % Safari
Op-in rate depends on business and website traffic.
- E-commerce: 0.5-5%
- Media: 0.5 — 6%
- Finance services: 0.5 — 10.5 %
Subscriber base grows gradually. During first months, the growth is up to 300% month over month, but its pace gets slower over time.
Delivery rate depends on campaign time parameters (schedule, time push to live). A user has to be online to receive a message.
- at night and in the early morning – about 35%,
- in the evening and in the afternoon – about 60%.
Delivery rate for mobile devices differs from the same indicator for desktop.
Statistics for media and e-commerce websites:
- Desktop delivery rate — 20-30%,
- Mobile delivery – 50-60%.
The number of closed notifications depends on device as well.
- 35-45% for desktop devices;
- 30-35% for smartphones.
Web push CTR changes depending on campaigns parameter settings.
Pay attention to:
- A campaign frequency,
- Time to send and time push to live,
- A notification design,
- A text composing,
- Segmentation tools.
An average CTR is about 15%. However, for campaigns with provocative content, for transactional and targeted notifications with small user groups CTR is up to 30%.
The highest results are at the afternoon till 6 p.m.
The higher TTL (time to live) value the better CTR you’ll get.
Nevertheless, companies use short delivery duration for campaigns with time limitations. For example, a discount is available for 2 hours only.
An optimal campaign frequency depends on business and its purposes.
For example, mass media campaigns average frequency is about five times a day. For e-commerce websites, this parameter is much lower.
How notification design can influence CTR value?
Web push consists of a text, icon or big image, CTA buttons (rich web push), URL.
And that’s how Call-to-action buttons increase web push effectiveness. Campaigns with CTA get 40-60% higher results than standard approach without rich web push options.
To achieve better results for different user groups, companies use segmentation tool.
Our clients divide a subscriber base by interests, regions, operating systems, browsers. It helps to compose relevant messages for different users.
Read more about web push segmentation.
The orange line shows click rate for campaigns with segmentation, the blue one – CTR for standard campaigns.
The blue line shows campaign results for total base, the orange one is a graph of personalized campaigns.
This tool is widely used for transactional or triggered messages to notify a user about their personal info.
Let’s sum up
- Web push notifications reach over 80% of all internet users
- It is supported by Windows, Android, MacOS. Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Yandex, Safari browsers for both desktop and mobile devices (accept iOS), support the technology as well.
- Chrome is the most popular browser to opt-in (over 90% of all subscribers).
- Opt-in rate is 0.5-15% depending on business.
- About 80% of all subscribers are smartphone users (Gravitec.net stats).
- Opt-in rate for native browser widgets is 5-10 higher than for designed opt-in box. The same is relevant for comparison between HTTP and HTTPS websites.
- Delivery rate is higher in the afternoon (about 60%).
- Delivery rate depends on a recipient’s device. It is about 50-60% for smartphones and 20-30% for desktop devices.
- The number of closed notifications is 35-45% of all received messages for desktop, and 30-35% for mobile devices.
- An average CTR is about 15%, but it is higher for provocative messages, targeted and transactional campaigns (up to 30%).
- The highest click rate is in the afternoon until 6 p.m.
- Rich web push with big images has higher CTR than notifications with a standard icon (2-5% higher).
- CTA buttons improve campaign results (over 40%).
- Targeted campaigns are 1.5-2 times more effective than campaigns for all users from subscriber base.
- ROI is up to 2200%, increase in daily website traffic is up to 25%.
If you have any questions about the technology features or a push campaign launch, please, contact our support team.