Web push notifications are extremely popular now. Gravitec.net sends over 3 billion notifications per month for over 5,000 websites. This technology combines the benefits of all widespread marketing channels, so it has become an important tool for user engagement. Push messages lead to increased website traffic and, in turn, additional income.
Why do you need browser push notifications? How do you enable your website to send push messages?
Why Use Website Push Notifications?
First, let’s compare web push with other marketing channels.
- Email marketing reaches a wide internet audience. According to statistics by the Radicati Group, about one-third of the worldwide population uses email.
However, the open rate of emails is lower than for push notifications. They can not be used as instant alerts, because users put off viewing their email for hours. Besides that, there is the chance that email messages go into the spam folder.
- SMS is suitable for timely messaging but has limited capabilities for long-term communication with customers. And, 160 characters that is all you can send. Still, it works for urgent communication. For example, to inform a customer about the delivery time.
- Instant messengers allow you to send messages with mixed content: images, text, buttons. However, the sender needs a list of customer contacts to start a campaign. Despite the popularity of social networks, you have to work on SMM strategy to engage users. This is a complex process. Simply messaging is not enough.
- Mobile or app push notifications are embedded into mobile apps. A company would need to develop an expensive application in order to use this technology. And, they will only reach mobile users.
Features of website notifications
- A simple opt-in procedure. A visitor simply needs to click one button in the automatic pop up window to subscribe to notifications.
- No development is necessary. Web push technology can be integrated into your website using a push service. Register on Gravitec.net and follow the instructions.
- Web push is a cross platform technology. Notifications can be sent to both desktop and mobile users.
- Notifications pop up on a subscriber’s device right after they are sent, so they attract a subscriber’s attention immediately.
- Push message consists of a 64-character title, and up to 240 in the text body, a website link, an image, and extra buttons.
- Using a push service, you have access to campaign statistics for tracking subscribers’ activity and analyzing campaign results.
With this technology, you can start collecting a subscriber base right after you complete the integration with your website, and establish direct interaction with your subscribers.
How to Send Push Notification From Website in 5 Steps
Gravitec.net provides push notification installation in five simple steps.
- Select the protocol (HTTP or HTTPS),
- Enter the full domain name
- Upload an icon, for example, the website logo (recommended size is 192×192 px)
- Click ‘Next’.
- Copy the generated code into the main HTML of your website. This code will only work for your domain.
- Download and extract SDK files to the root website folder.
- If you want to use an API for push messaging, follow ‘REST API documentation’.
To verify integration, go to your website and subscribe to push notifications.
Additionally, you can integrate push notifications with your website by Google Tag Manager.
Now your website visitors can subscribe to push notifications.
Learn more about Pricing here.
You are now ready to begin sending push campaigns!
The collection of your subscriber base will start automatically, right after the integration. Each visitor can choose to either “Allow” or “Block” push notifications in the opt-in window on your website.
You can configure the permission prompt for mobile and desktop devices. After you select the appearance and position, you will see the changes in the preview on the right side of the screen.
You can start sending notifications just as soon as you get your first subscriber!
Start a push campaign
Set parameters for the push notification:
- Enter a title and a text. You can add an emoji for both (click on the smile icon).
- Fill in the URL field, turn on/off the UTM for tracking subscribers’ activity.
- Set the notification icon with the recommended size 192x192px. Then, check the web push preview for each browser, and operating system.
- Set the schedule. Set the date/time to start, and also select the time zone. TTL (Time to push live) is the duration of the campaign. During this time period, the Gravitec.net system will attempt to reach all devices, until all subscribers have been reached. If you don’t set a campaign schedule, notifications will be sent immediately.
- To add big images and extra buttons, click ‘Rich notification’.
You can even send campaigns in only one click using Chrome Extension by Gravitec.net. In addition, Gravitec.net automation tools for campaign creation can save you a lot of time. Read more about automated content delivery by RSS.)
Gravitec.net allows you to segment your subscriber base. Click ‘Targeting’ to segment subscribers by tags, aliases, browsers, countries, operating systems.
Read more about push notification segmentation.
How to send push notifications?
- Register on Gravitec.net
- Integrate your website with the service
- Collect subscribers
- Create a push campaign
- Send notifications to subscribers
Why do you need browser push notifications?
- The simple procedure for campaign creation saves marketers time. Only five steps are needed to start sending messages to customers.
- Subscriber base collection starts right after your website is integrated with the push notification technology.
- You can track campaign statistics to build effective marketing strategies.
- You can segment subscribers, and send the targeted campaigns.
If you have any questions about push campaigns please contact our support team.