Browser push notifications are the multi-platform tool for a website visitors engagement. What’s the idea behind cross or multi-platform messages?
We’ll review push notification features as a cross platform marketing channel. Which platforms support web push technology? How does web push operate on various OS and browsers?
What are Cross Platform Push Notifications
Cross platform push notifications reach a website users in the simplest way. They pop up on a device screen immediately after sending. The technology works via the most popular mobile and desktop browsers: Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari (MacOS), Yandex.
Windows, MacOS and Android supports web push notifications. Thus, websites can easily communicate with smartphone, laptop or PC users, even if they’ve left a web page.
- On desktop, a user receives a notification when their browser is open.
- On mobile devices (Android) push notifications pop up at the top of the screen, even with closed browser.
Marketers send push notifications to return visitors to a website. Web push subscribers instead get the relevant info, breaking news or profitable offers.
How Does It Work?
- To integrate push technology with a website, you can use ready-made push platform. Just five steps are enough for a campaign launch via Gravitec.net. You’ll get a simple interface for planning and messages creating, statistics board, segmentation tools, etc.
- To opt in a visitor has to allow web push sending first. Both on mobile and desktop device screen a user gets an opt-in widget while visiting a website. They have to click just once to allow or block browser notifications from a specific site.
- To send a notification from a website, marketers need to create a message (title, description, image, web page URL) first. They can segment a subscriber base by user browsers, OS, region. Thus, every group will receive a separate message. Gravitec platform provides clients with opportunity to send rich web push with big image or extra buttons as well.
- To prompt a subscriber to click, a notification should contain useful and clear info, noticeable image. A message have to be relevant to user interests.
- To opt out a subscriber has to turn off push notifications in a browser settings for specific or all websites. Learn how to unsubscribe from web push in Chrome.
How does it work for various devices?
Windows and MacOS
Push notification displaying on mobile and desktop differs. As well as it differs depending on browser.
For example, in Chrome on Windows 10, web push pops up on the screen, and if a user doesn’t make any action, a message will be saved in the OS Notification center. Thus, a subscriber can read a message or follow a link later. MacOS has exactly the same option.
However, push notification appearance on MacOS differs from how it looks on Windows.
Preview examples from Gravitec account.
It means that marketers can use big-sized images and additional buttons in campaigns for subscribers via Chrome (Windows). But MacOS users will not receive this info. Therefore, companies segment audience by OS to send various message types to specific groups.
Notification character limits differs as well. It can be shorter or longer depending on browser and OS.
Read more about web push character limits.
iOS doesn’t support web push notifications. Instead, they work hard to engage users into apps installation, so iPhone owners have access to app push notifications only.
Smartphone and PC users behavior is different. For example, mobile users are more active in the morning and after 7 p.m. (Gravitec.net statistics), while subscription rate from PC and laptops is higher during working hours.
However, statistics differs depending on a business specifics. That’s why, companies ought to track users activity statistics for proper campaign planning.
Analysis helps to choose convenient time for a campaign launch, to segment audience by separate marks, to create relevant messages, to improve CTR and your profit.
Where Can It Be Used?
Marketers use cross platform push notifications for all website types and businesses.
Especially this marketing tool is popular for
- Travelling websites (agencies, airlines, etc.)
- Financial resources (banks, insurance companies)
- Online shops
- Restaurants and cafes
- Mass media
- Event websites
- Online courses platforms
- Online TV and game websites, etc.
Every website uses push notifications in its own way. For instance, banks alert their customers about payment conditions, online store notify about discounts, mass media sends breaking news. Marketing strategy is based on company purposes. It influences on campaigns frequency, content creating, etc.
The Benefits of Cross Platform Push Notifications
Why cross platform notifications are so popular?
- Simple opt-in/opt-out process
- Message pops up on the device screen. There is no need to open email client to read info.
- Web push technology covers about 85% of internet users (Windows, MacOS, Android and the most popular browsers).
- Fast subscriber base collecting
- Companies get back up to 5-10% of the website traffic.
- Businesses increase their profit with proper campaign launch based on statistics and analysis.
- Multi-platform push notifications are available for Windows, MacOS and Android via Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari and Yandex browsers.
- Both mobile and desktop users can receive messages, but there are some differences in web push appearance on various platforms.
- Companies can send notifications via a push platform or by developing their own software.
- Gravitec.net provides an opportunity to create and send web push notifications, collect statistics, segment a subscriber base in your own account.
- For a proper campaign launch, pay attention on mobile and desktop users behavior. Segment your subscriber base to send relevant messages to separate recipient groups.
- Businesses use this marketing channel to engage website visitors, to notify them about news and offers, to return them to a website.