The aim of push notifications as a marketing channel is in reducing user annoyance from online advertising. At its core, the main purpose is to provide communication between the website and its consumer in the most unobtrusive manner.
The push subscriber is the one who is interested in notifications of a specific website, its news and events. Each user gives his consent to send notifications, denies or ignores the subscription service window.
However, there are cases when the customer wants to unsubscribe from push notifications after the subscription. For example, a consumer’s lost interest in notifications after purchasing the product in an online store, or after a random subscription, etc.
This article will help you figure out how to turn off push notifications in Chrome on desktop and mobile devices.
How to Disable Push Notifications in Chrome (Desktop)
Therefore, we consider in detail the work in this browser.
The easiest way to unsubscribe from a separate website notifications:
- Click on the lock icon in the address bar to the left of the website name.
- Select the item «Notifications», and on the right — the action («Ask» — «Allow» — «Block»).
In order to unsubscribe from notifications select “Block”. For reverse action after blocking, you can click «Allow».
To disable push notifications from several sites at once go to the advanced browser settings.
- Find the Chrome control panel in the upper right corner.
- Select the item «Settings»
- Go to the «Advanced» section
- From the list that appears, select «Content Settings»
- Next, click on the item «Notifications».
- Blocked websites are at the top of the opened list, and allowed websites are bellow.
- In the list called “Allow”, select websites you wish to unsubscribe.
- To the right of the website name click «Block».
That’s it. The blocked website will appear in the list under the name “Block”, but you can always change its status to “Allow”.
Chrome browser doesn’t support push notifications for HTTP websites. However, if you haven’t yet installed the SSL certificate, use the advanced features of our service. HTTP websites get access to push technology through our HTTPS subdomain. Subscribing to the push notifications occurs in two clicks. The first one is through the website widget; the second is through the subdomain window.
Therefore, it’s impossible to unsubscribe from the HTTP website notifications by the basic algorithm. If you enter the advanced settings of the resource, you will see that the «Notifications» line is inactive.
Among the allowed web resources there will be a website with a subdomain URL (https://yoursite.gravitec.net). After selecting the «Block» action, you will disable web push. In order to subscribe again after blocking clean cookies.
Click on the selected item, and in the next window delete the website cookies. After this action, it will again be able to send a subscription offer.
How to Unsubscribe From Chrome Notifications on Android
To block web push in Chrome on your mobile device (OS Android), follow the instructions below.
- Go to the browser menu on your smartphone.
- Select the item «Settings».
- Click «Site Settings».
- Choose the item «Notifications»
- The list of blocked and allowed websites will open. Here you can also specify a rule for all notifications.
- Select the website to unsubscribe from push notifications.
- Click «Clear and reset»
Another way to disable notifications of a specific website on Android devices:
- Go to the website you want to unsubscribe from
- Tap on the browser menu
- Select “Info” item
- Click “Site settings”
- Click “Clear and Reset”
Proper use of the channel reduces the percentage rate of notifications disabling.
Pay attention to:
- the time and frequency of push sending,
- the subject of campaigns,
- the segmentation of the subscriber base,
- the design of notifications etc.
Contact our specialists for advice on launching campaigns after registration.