Web push notification is a tool for instant communication with a loyal website audience. A user visits a favorite website, and in one click subscribes to receive the notifications. However, there are cases of blocking web push on a subscriber side. Sometimes this happens for objective reasons (notifications are too intrusive or do not come on time), sometimes a subscriber blocks notifications accidentally.
This article is about ways to unlock receiving push notifications. You will learn how to return a subscription, or unblock notifications on Chrome browser.
How to allow web push notifications on Chrome?
By default, each website with installed push technology requests visitor permission to send notifications.
The request appears in the browser service window.
You won’t receive notifications, when your browser is in incognito mode.
How to unblock notifications on desktop?
To unlock receiving web push from a specific website in the desktop browser version:
- Open a website in Chrome;
- Click on the information icon to the left of the URL;
- Opposite the item “Notifications”, select a rule for the website – “Ask” or “Allow”.
- To apply updated settings reload the page.
The second way to make changes in displaying notifications is using advanced browser settings.
- Find the settings button in the top right corner
- Choose “Settings” item
- Go to “Advanced” list
- Select “Content settings” – “Notifications”
- Blocked websites are in the list above
- To unblock push notifications select the rule for each website in the list
- Or allow receiving notifications from any website by adding its URL to the list below
- After entering the site name click “Add” and the website will appear in the “Allow” list
How to unlock web push on mobile?
For Chrome on mobile, you can also enable notifications on the page or set a rule for all websites in the browser settings.
The first option:
- Open the Chrome app on Android
- Enter the website name
- Click on the secure icon to the left of the address
- You will see a rule for receiving notifications from this site (“Notifications” – “Blocked”)
- Go to the “Site settings”
- Click “Notifications” item there and turn it from “Block” to “Allow”.
The second option:
- On your phone or tablet open the Chrome app
- Go to the browser menu
- Select “Settings”, then “Site settings”
- Choose “Notifications”
- You can change rules for each blocked website in the “Blocked” drop-list.
- After changings, unblocked websites will appear in the “Allow” list.
We recommend our clients to notify their subscribers about the push notifications functions. Clear information about communication features increases user loyalty to both your product and the marketing channel.