What are the reasons for choosing a particular messenger for private use? People most frequently choose the one that their friends use. But there are definite reasons to explore the functions and features of an app, before loading it. Besides popularity, users also examine the capabilities, ease of use, etc. A set of factors influence one’s final choice.
In this article, we compare the features of 2 messenger apps: WhatsApp and Viber. You will learn what to consider before installing these apps, and how to evaluate their pros and cons.
What to Like About Both Services?
Instant messengers give us unprecedented abilities in communicating with each other. They both have a lot in common, so let’s first look at the similarities of both apps.
Viber and WhatsApp messenger provides:
- End-to-end encryption,
- Text message transferring,
- Voice and video calls,
- Voice and video recording exchange,
- Photos and documents transfer,
- Group chats.
Both messengers are available for mobile (Android, iOS) and desktop devices (Windows, Mac).
Differences Between Viber and Whatsapp
We’ve identified twelve features to use in our comparison of the Viber and WhatsApp:
|Calls app to app||+||+|
|Video and voice records||+||+|
So, in the Viber versus Whatsapp “competition”, the score is Viber-12 to WhatsApp-7!
What do they have in common?
- Both apps protect chats and calls with end-to-end encryption.
- Viber and WhatsApp allow creating Groups, which allows multiple people to participate in a chat.
- You can make voice/video calls to anyone who has the app.
- Send any type of media files or documents via the messengers.
- Share a contact from your list, with another contact.
- Share your location (connects with the Maps app).
- Create and send voice/video messages.
So, what’s the difference between the two apps?
We’ll explore each item in detail.
Why is Viber Better than WhatsApp?
Viber has a broader range of functions, which makes it more universal.
- There are three types of group communication: Groups, Communities, and Broadcast lists. Group Chat has a limited number of participants. Communities allow an unlimited number of participants and require an administrator. Broadcast lists let you send messages to multiple contacts simultaneously. By comparison, WhatsApp only offers Groups.
- Privacy needs are taken into account. You can choose a number of options to protect your data and/or visibility. Use Hidden Chat to keep your conversation private (with PIN) from anyone who may have access to your device. Self-destructing messages in Secret Chat protect sensitive info from being forwarded or copied by your contact. WhatsApp doesn’t offer these features.
- Besides end-to-end encryption, Viber offers additional security measures. You can create a “Trust List” of your proven contacts. This feature prevents messages from being intercepted by a third party. Read our review of the Viber security system.
- Viber and WhatsApp both provide free voice/video calls to anyone of your contacts who has installed the app. However, the Viber Out option allows you to make calls to any landline or mobile number (for a fee). Currently, WhatsApp doesn’t provide this capability.
- Viber also provides entertainment! Invite your friends to Viber Games! In addition, there are many sticker packs – some for free, some for a fee – for colorful chatting. WhatsApp also has stickers, but not as many as Viber.
Learn more about how Viber works.
Why is WhatsApp better than Viber?
Despite Viber’s multi-functionality, WhatsApp has its own benefits.
- WhatsApp is easy to use, and navigation through the features is easy and straightforward. And, with limited features, there is a shorter learning curve. Viber might seem more cluttered.
- WhatsApp has more users: While Viber boasts over 800 million users, WhatsApp has roughly 1,200 million.
In our opinion, based on features and capabilities, Viber comes out on top! It has more options that make it more universal than WhatsApp. It is gaining popularity worldwide and leads in preference lists in certain countries. Still, WhatsApp is extremely popular, and we will watch the struggle of these two instant messenger leaders over time.
Do you know how Viber makes money?
Which should you choose? Viber or WhatsApp?
To make the right choice, take a look at these points:
- Which app do your friends and colleagues use?
- What functionality do you want?
- How secure is the app?
- How is the communication quality?
- How easy is it to use?
You might even consider trying both apps to see which one satisfies your needs, and your fancy!
Find more articles in the Gravitec.net blog.